Monday, February 8, 2010

My Caustic Opinion On Watching People Smoke Themselves To Death

I am in deep shit right now for telling one of my three Aunts that she needs to quit smoking. After moving to Colorado last fall to help out her daughter with her young family, she made the decision to quit smoking after a fifty year habit. She went for ten or twelve weeks without a cigarette. On her first weekend away, to spend the weekend with me, she asked me to pull over so she could buy cigarettes. In the process of pulling over and buying cigarettes, she was telling me that she couldn't remember feeling as well as she did since she had quit smoking. She said she had quit coughing and had a lot more energy and seemed very proud and happy.
Of course I felt like shit because I couldn't say no to her that day. I hadn't seen her in a long time and didn't want to make her feel bad.
I have now become the person with the "caustic opinions" (according to an email I received from her this morning)and need to "back off"!
Well I'm not backing off!
Because she doesn't "smoke" in any ones home or in front of children, it's basically nobodies business.
The fact is, she has proven she can quit!
I told her just after New Years that she needed to go quit again. I know it's hard. Millions of people have said that. That's not the point!
The children she hides her smoking from are the children who will be watching her die a slow agonizing death! These are the Grand Children who need her
Her sister who watched their brother take his "last agonizing breath" from SMOKING doesn't want to see her only sister die that way. AND NEITHER DO I OR ANYONE ELSE WHO KNOWS HER!
We all need to "stop" minding our own business when we see someone we love destroying their lives. Have we become a society of people who only care about themselves?
If thats the case, maybe 12/21/12 will be what we all deserve...

No comments: