Tuesday, January 19, 2010

#7 "Husband #2 Yes, I Married My Attorney"

Two hours after my "first" divorce was final, my attorney, Dennis L Berry called and asked me for a date.
I was twenty two, he was forty one. I didn't know how old he was at the time. He was older, good looking and was a partner in a Law Firm! Plus I was like a babe in the woods.
I had gotten a job at a very nice clothing "Boutique", had rented a one bedroom apartment and hired a baby sitter.
But my choices of guys to date in that town were slim. The only "hot" guys I liked that were around my age were drug dealers. I didn't drink or do drugs back then but I quickly learned...
So I started dating Dennis. He had quite a little "Cutty Sark" addiction going on but I really hadn't hung around with people who drank much at that time. Remember "dry county"!
He treated me like a princess. I was basically "arm candy" when we attended social gatherings and hung out at the Country Club. He took me on lots of shopping sprees. His brother, a Pilot for American, had his own airplane and several times we went to Mexico and to the Horse Races in Hot Springs and Kentucky.
He taught me to like wine and also the social graces needed so I wouldn't embarrass him in public. He had me reading lots of books, plus magazines like The New Yorker and even Playboy.
He did change my life, but he was also controlling and manipulative. Which I was used to.
I rarely saw my family the two years we dated. And I rarely saw my son Randy because when I wasn't working, Dennis was paying for extra baby sitting so I could be with him. As much as I loved my son, The attention and affection I was getting from Dennis was like a drug to me. I had never felt adored and loved in my whole life.
Because of my little job, I qualified for a low interest FHA Loan and bought a house.
At that time my relationship with Dennis was falling apart. I started feeling some independence. Dennis didn't want to get married again because he was paying a huge amount of alimony and child support every month for his three children which were twenty minutes away and rarely saw.
I didn't know what I wanted then. I tried breaking it off. I started seeing other people, a lot of them! Dennis was stalking me and driving me nuts.
I left Randy with my aunt Bev for what was supposed to be the weekend and turned into a week. I went to Little Rock with my friend Dixie Houston to visit my brother Steve. He was a roadie for STIX and lived in a big old southern mansion with the rest of the roadies. Needless to say, Dixie and I had a blast.
That same year my aunt Bev moved back to Florida.
Randy's dad had gotten re-married and they wanted custody of Randy. My life was always a mess. I honestly thought Randy would be better off in a "real" home than living in the "party palace". I hope it was better! I rarely saw him.
I went to visit my aunt Bev in Florida and was thinking of staying there when Dennis showed up about a week after I got there. I don't remember everything that happened after that. He went home, and about a week later called and asked me to marry him. I said yes. He flew me back, bought me a house and an MGB and we got married at his friends house.
When I left Dennis, after nine months of marriage, I had no money. Because I was kind enough to not take the MGB he had given me, he brought me a five year old Pontiac Le Mans that been sideswiped from the front bumper to the back bumper. You could only open the driver side door. One of his drunken Lawyer friends had done it on the way home from the Country Club and sold it to Dennis so I would have a car.
I left Dennis because I thought he would stop drinking after we got married and he didn't. I also knew it wasn't a "real" marriage. We were taking care of each other.
I moved I with a friend of mine who was a Diabetic and she let me live there free for taking care of her. I did the cooking and cleaning and also had a job as a waitress and was trying to save money to live on my own. My roomie also had a Dilauded habit, so there were always drug dealers around.
I moved out for two months and couldn't pay my bills so I had to moved back.
While I was living there I met soon to be husband #3.

No comments: