Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Parents

By now, if any of my younger siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles are still reading this they probably wonder where all this is coming from.
Marion and J B Wilson were the nicest people they ever knew.
They were good people. They were just not good parents with their first set of children. I know they made a lot of changes after the three younger children were born. It's probably a common thing. And I respect them for seeing their mistakes and trying hard to do better. I also respect my dad coming to me when I lived in Memphis and apologizing for not being better parents to Steve and I. That meant a lot to me.
When I visited my family as an adult, I saw a huge difference in the home. The kids were actually laughing and playing.
I'm happy for my sister and brothers who had the "good" parents that were loving and supportive.
I don't think I was ever envious, because at the time they were still the people who raised me. I still saw them as someone else.
I don't believe my brother Steve ever got over it. I'm just guessing here. I gravitated toward abusive relationships. Steve self medicated with alcohol and drugs.
Steve and I were always real softies. We would cry at the drop of a hat. I still do. In fact, I'm crying my eyes out rite now!
But Steve had a pain inside that no amount of self medication could fix.
The only reason my parents bought the equipment to set up the music studio was for Kelly. You can deny it, but Steve knew it was true.
Ruth Anne, Stephanie, Samantha and Jai were the women in his life. I also know that I was somewhere on that list. We all would have saved him if we could.
I know we all think: If I just did this, of If I had just done that, he would still be alive.
If you are one of "the believers" who would say that God took Steve when he did for a reason, I would say: Your God is a cruel God!
Steve's spirit is alive and happy in those of us who love him.
He's a wounded child and I hold him close at all times...

1 comment:

Crystal Child's Wench said...

There is not a day that goes by, that I don't think of Steve in some way. I laugh with him, I cry with him and I talk to him.
Being where I am at this moment in time, brings him nearer to me and have someone to share that with...
Love ya