Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Only thing I Hate More Than A Label Is Someone Judging Me

If you only read one book this year, read: Letter To A Christian Nation, by Sam Harris.
I did like the book, Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott that my daughter Megan asked me to read. It was an enjoyable book.
Because we are raised in a religious society, we all have questions. And it's not just us "non believers". Some of the most religious people I've known throughout my life are constantly questioning, not their faith, just certain things they run into in reading the bible or in conversation with their peers.
All of my life I've been the one who ALWAYS has a question that can't be answered. And It's partly because of this that I don't believe the bible. The rest you will understand after reading Letter To A Christian Nation.
In the past, when I ask a question that I deem serious, there are always one of TWO answers. The most common is: well, you're a non believer or you wouldn't ask that. Second, the person actually hears my question and says: that's a good question and I'm going to investigate that and get back to you and they do.
Here's the latest thing I'm curious about. It's a several part question Let's get started...
Was Adam literally created in Gods Image? Even if he was or not, why was he created with the "equipment" to re-produce? It was only when Adam became lonely that Eve was created from A rib from Adam while he slept.
I have a LOOOONG list if you are ever bored and would like a challenge.
Because I have an analytical mind doesn't necessarily mean I'm smart. It just means I need the truth told in a way that makes sense. I won't settle for less! Maybe that's because I've seen and heard about the people who have died in the name of religion. I blows my mind that a human being would die because his belief is the "RIGHT" or "CHOSEN" belief. I want no part of that!
I've been watching the devastation in Haiti on the news. I see many Nations coming to the aid of our fellow human beings. I ask myself, why can't we be like this every day of every hour? It pains me to think that after the "clean up" we will all go back to hating each other for one reason or another.
I honestly don't care how we got here. I care how we treat each other. I care that when a child is born, we understand the importance of loving and nurturing that child until it is time to leave the nest. And that child has everything it needs to live a happy, well informed, well balanced life and they can continue the cycle when and if they choose to.
Why do most people feel the need to belong to an organization that judges the rest of the world?
If we all started today to show all children how to love and be loved, In twenty years we would be living in a beautiful world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My wife is turning into quite the eloquent blogger!

Link to the blog!